Those That



How does the exemption work? Will I get a check in the mail for tuition?


The Hazlewood Act is an exemption from the payment of tuition and most fees. There is no money changing hands with this benefit. The institution the student attends absorbs the cost of tuition and some fees for that student.


Dependents & Residency


Which dependents may qualify for Hazlewood Act benefits?


Children of service members who are killed in the line of duty or who die as a result of injury or illness directly related to military service are eligible for Hazlewood Act benefits providing the child was a dependent of the Texas service member at the time he/she died. The student will need to provide official military documentation indicating he/she meets the requirement.


Effective June 16, 2007, children of Texas service members who receive 100% VA disability benefits as a result of a disability or being individually unemployable are also eligible for this benefit. The student will need to provide official documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating that the service member has a 100% individual unemployability rating. In addition, the child must have been a dependent of the service member when the service member sustained the disabling injury or when the service member was declared to be unemployable by the VA.














Does the Hazlewood Act provide benefits to the spouses of veterans?


No.  It only provides benefits to the dependent children.


Would a veteran who was a dependent when his/her parents moved to Texas and who shortly thereafter entered the service is eligible?


To be eligible, the veteran must have been a resident of Texas at the time he/she enlisted. The residence of a dependent child is that of the parents, but parents who move to Texas would not be considered Texas residents for tuition purposes until they had been in the state 12 months. If a veteran, who, as a dependent, enlisted in fewer than 12 months after his/her parents move to Texas, he or she would not have been a resident of Texas at the time of enlistment and is, therefore, not eligible for Hazlewood Act benefits.














Does the dependent child of a deceased service member using Hazlewood Act benefits have to be a Texas resident at the time he/she uses the benefit?


Yes. The dependent child must be classified by the institution of higher education as a resident of Texas for the term/semester for which he/she applies for the exemption.