Those That


Oregon State Benefits

The Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA) continues to build better lives for veterans and their families living in Oregon. From helping veterans obtain earned medals and military awards to filing claims for education benefits, ODVA is here with you every step of the way. We strongly encourage you to seek the advice and counsel of an accredited Veteran Service Officer to represent your interests before filing a VA claim.                  


State Parks Use Permit
Free year round camping for service-connected disabled veterans and U.S. Armed Forces active-duty personnel on leave. The benefit includes camping and day-use privileges at RV and tent sites in Oregon State Parks. The Oregon Parks and Rec Dept. issues park access identification cards to every qualifying veteran who submits a completed application for the fee waiver, which applies to the use of RV and tent campsites and visits to all 26 of OPRD’s day-use-fee parks.                           


ORVET Home Loans
The ODVA State Veteran’s Home Loan program (ORVET) offers favorable interest rates and enables honorably-discharged veterans to purchase a single-family owner-occupied home. Eligibility for the program can be established prior to making actual application for a home loan.                     












ODVA home loans are available to veterans purchasing a primary residence within the State of Oregon. The current maximum ORVET loan amount is $417,000 or a veteran’s remaining eligibility if there has been a previous ODVA loan. The home being purchased must be within the State of Oregon. The home must be the veteran's primary residence.                          


Permanent Vehicle Registration Fee for Disabled Veterans

One-time registration fee for motor vehicle registration for service-connected disabled veterans in receipt of compensation. Disabled veterans must provide proof that the qualifying disability is connected with service in the Armed Forces of the United States. This proof must be provided in the form of a letter from the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States. To request a letter, call VA at 1-800-827-1000. The letter must certify:

  • You are a service member discharged or released under honorable conditions;
  • The service was for not less than 90 consecutive days (or the discharge or release was based on a service connected injury or illness prior to completion of the minimum period of service), and;
  • The disability is service related.


Submit the letter with the application. If you need further assistance, contact ODVA at 1-800-692-9666 or your County Veteran Service Officer.


Military Veteran Recognition License Plate Program

For $10 every two years, an eligible veteran may register a Veteran Recognition Plate with Military Insignia or Blank Veteran Recognition Plate. A variety of license plates relating to military service. A portion of the fees from the “VETERAN” plate helps support the Oregon Veterans’ Home, a 151-bed, Medicare/Medicaid certified, skilled-nursing care facility, located in The Dalles.












Educational Aid

The state of Oregon provides $150 per month for 36 months for a total of $5,600 for full-time college studies. Part-time students may receive $100 per month for 36 months for a total of $3,600 for college studies. Benefits are paid for classroom instruction, home study courses, and for vocational training from an accredited educational institution.                                   


Unemployment Compensation
Veterans who do not begin civilian employment immediately after leaving military service may receive weekly unemployment compensation for a limited time. The purpose of Training Unemployment Insurance (TUI) is to allow eligible dislocated workers to attend school and receive unemployment insurance benefits at the same time so that they can continue to care for their families and obtain employment.                                     


Disabled Veterans' and Local Employment Representatives
Veterans can find employment information, education and training opportunities, job counseling, job search workshops, and resume preparation assistance at state Workforce Career or One-Stop Centers. These offices also have specialists to help disabled veterans find employment. Disabled Veterans´ Outreach Program Specialists (DVOP) and Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) assist Veterans' in applying for Federal, State, Local Government and private sector employment. 


Veterans' Preference Points
Since the time of the Civil War, Veterans of the Armed Forces have been given some degree of preference in appointments to government jobs. Recognizing that sacrifices are made by those serving in the Armed Forces, Congress enacted laws to prevent veterans seeking employment from being penalized because of the time spent in military service.