Those That


Nevada State Benefits

Hunting & Fishing License

The State of Nevada Wildlife Division will issue free hunting fishing licenses to any honorably separated veteran who has a service-connected disability of 50% or more.  For more information, contact the Nevada Wildlife Division at 775-688-1500 in Reno, 702-486-5127 in Las Vegas, and 775 738-5332 in Elko.


Veterans Tax Exemption

An annual tax exemption is available to any veteran with wartime service (including in-theater service during the Persian Gulf War, Afghanistan and Iraqi Wars).  To obtain this exemption, take a copy of your DD214 or discharge papers to your local County Assessor.  The exemption can be applied to a veteran’s vehicle privilege tax or real property tax.  The exemption cannot be split between the two.  To obtain the exact amount of this benefit, contact your County Assessor.  Veterans may also “donate” their exempted tax directly to the Nevada Veterans’  Home Account, which will contribute the amount toward the operation of a Veterans’ Home in Nevada.


Disabled Veteran Tax Exemption

Nevada offers a property tax exemption to any veteran with a service-connected disability of 60% or more.    












The amounts of exemption that are or will be available to disabled veterans varies from $6,250 to $20,000 of assessed valuation, depending on the percentage of disability and the year filed.  To qualify, the veteran must have an honorable separation from the service and be a resident of Nevada.    


The widow or widower of a disabled veteran, who was eligible for this exemption at the time of his or her death, may also be eligible to receive this exemption.      


This exemption can be applied to a veteran’s vehicle tax or personal property tax.  To determine the actual value of this benefit or to obtain further information, contact your local county assessor’s office.


Veteran’s Home

A State-owned and operated veterans’ home is located in Boulder City.  The home consists of an extended care facility for veterans in need of skilled nursing home care.  Future plans call for a Veterans Home in Northern Nevada.  For admission information, see the Veterans Home webpage or call 702 332-6864.


Guardianship Program

Nevada State Law permits the Nevada Office of Veterans’ Services to act as the financial guardian for incompetent veterans, their widows and children.  For further information, call 775 688-1653 in Reno or 702 636-3070 in Las Vegas.


Veteran Cemetery Plot

Eligible veterans and members of their immediate family may be buried at the Northern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Fernley, or at the Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City.  There is no charge for the plot, vault and opening & closing of a gravesite for a Veteran.  A $350 fee (subject to change) is charged for the burial of the spouse or dependent of a veteran.  For more information is the Cemeteries webpage or call:    


Northern Nevada 775 575-4441Southern Nevada  702 486-5920.      


Parking Privileges

The State of Nevada authorizes special parking permits for physically disabled persons.  Applications are available at your local DMV office or can be obtained by contacting the DMV Special Plate Section at 775 684-4750 in Carson City.











Special Veteran License Plate

The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles offers several distinctive license plates for veterans that include:    

  • Ex-Prisoner of War
  • Disabled Veteran
  • Purple Heart
  • Veteran 
  • Pearl Harbor Survivors & Veterans


Congressional Medal of HonorApplications for special plates can be obtained at your local DMV Office or by calling 775 684-4750 in Carson City.



Veterans or their dependents filing claims for service-connected disabilities may receive a one-time free copy of their birth, divorce, death or marriage certificate from the appropriate county courthouse.


Recording Fees

Discharge certificates are recorded free of charge to eligible veterans by Nevada Count Recorders.


Civil Service Preference

Civil service preference is given to veterans applying for State employment in Nevada.  Veterans with service-connected disabilities receive additional preference.  For information, contact the Nevada Department of Personnel at 775 684-0150 in Carson City or 702 486-2900 in Las Vegas.