A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and unremarried widows & widowers. An approved tuition waiver means a student may attend any two-year, four-years schools or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education. You may qualify if one of the following is true of the veteran:
- Died on active duty.
- Died as a direct result of a service connected disability as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- 100% service connected disabled.
- Totally disabled (non-service connected) with wartime service.
- Is deceased and served during a wartime period.
Kentucky's State Veterans Cemeteries
The mission of KDVA's Cemetery Branch is to ensure dignified interment for veterans in the sacred space of a shrine that stands as a tribute to their service for the Commonwealth and the nation. KDVA operates three State Veterans Cemeteries and is planning two more.
Interment in a state veteran's cemetery is based on military service. The eligibility criteria is the same criteria for burial in VA national cemeteries. KDVA staff will direct requests for interment to staff at the cemetery where burial is sought. Services Total interment services include:
- Furnishing grave or columbarium space
- Opening and closing the grave
- Providing the interment site with perpetual care
- Supplying a suitable marker or headstone
- Furnishing an optional concrete grave liner for all casketed burials
NOTE on markers and headstones: Although the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers flat marble or bronze markers in addition to upright bronze and marble headstones, KDVA permits only upright marble headstones and marble columbarium niche markers at our state cemeteries.