Correction of Military Records


The secretary of a military department, acting through a Board for Correction of  Military Records, has authority to change any military record when necessary to correct an error or remove an injustice.  A correction board may consider applications for correction of a military record, including review of a discharge issued by the courts.


The veteran, survivor or legal representative must file a request fir correction within three years after discovering an alleged error or injustice.  The board may excuse failure to file within this time if in the interest of injustice.  It is an applicant’s responsibility to show why the filing of the application was delayed and why it should be in the interest of justice for the board to consider it despite the delay.


To justify a correction, it is necessary to show to the satisfaction of the board that the alleged entry or omission in the records was in error or unjust.  Applications should include all evidence, such as signed statements of witnesses or a brief of arguments supporting the correction.  Application is made with DD Form 149.