Replacing Military Medals


Medals awarded while in active service are issued by the individual services if requested by veterans or their next of kin.  Requests for replacement medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the branch of the military in which the veteran served.  However, for Air Force (including Army Air Corps) and Army veterans, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) verifies awards and forwards requests and verification to appropriate services.


Requests for replacement medals should be submitted on standard Form 180, “Requests Pertaining To Military Records,” which may be obtained at VA offices or the internet.  For questions call Military Personnel Records at 314.801.0800.