STATE BENEFITS                        
Wartime veterans have preference in employment
with State agencies or offices, as do widows and children of those killed on active duty.  State agencies must practice veterans' preference until they have reached 40% veteran employment. Non-retired veterans who are employed by the State of Texas are entitled to claim their active duty military time toward retirement, provided they present a proper request and pay to the Retirement System the specified amount of retirement contribution for up to 60 months' military credit. Such contribution is paid at the rate which was applicable at the time the employed veteran first was covered by the state Retirement System, plus any accrued interest.
Additionally, a veteran is entitled to reemployment rights with his last employer when he is released from the Armed Forces of the United States, providing his absence is not longer than four years. The right of reemployment is available regardless of whether the veteran was, prior to service, employed by the State, county or city government, or by private industry. Reemployment rights of veterans are now provided by both State and Federal laws. We have provided a link to the State Law regarding reemployment rights.
The Texas Veterans Land Board (VLB), a division of the Texas General Land Office, administers three veterans' loan programs: The Land Loan Program, Veterans Housing Assistance Purchase Program, and the Veterans Home Improvement Loan Program.                                     
The Texas Veterans Land Board (VLB), a division of the Texas General Land Office, administers the Texas State Veterans Homes program.

In the November 2001 statewide elections, voters overwhelmingly approved Proposition 7, a constitutional amendment that authorized the creation of up to seven state cemeteries for veterans and their eligible dependents. The cemeteries will be built and operated through a partnership between the Texas Veterans Land Board (VLB) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA). The USDVA will fund up to 100 percent of the construction and equipment costs. The state will own and operate the cemeteries and fund most of the cost of operations.                                                                                      
Under the Health and Safety Code, Chapter 161.201 Subchapter M, Medical or Mental Health Records, Texas veterans are eligible for no cost medical records when they are obtained to file a claim for a disability against the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA).  The health care provider or health care facility is not required to provide more than one complete record for the patient or former patient without charge.  Also, it should be noted, that some medical facilities will charge a small administrative fee for obtaining the records.                                                                      
Under Texas Transportation Code Title 7, Chapter 521, Section 521.426, Texas drivers licenses may be furnished free of charge to veterans who have service-connected disabilities rated 60% or more by the VA or by a branch of the Armed Forces of the U.S. Application must be made prior to the time present drivers license expires. Application forms may be obtained from Department of Public Safety's license examining offices located throughout the State. We have provided a link to the to the Texas Department of Public Safety's Drivers License information website. Application forms should be completed by the veteran and forwarded to the VA for verification of service-connected rating of 60% or more. If a veteran was disability-retired from military service and has no VA claim file, proof of disability must come from their respective branch of military service.

Disabled veterans are eligible for special hunting and fishing licenses, at a reduced cost. A disabled veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States is one who has a service-connected disability, as defined by the Department of Veterans Affairs, consisting of the loss of use of a lower extremity or of a disability rating of 60% or more, and who is receiving compensation from the United States for the disability. A resident veteran as described in the law may hunt wild turkey and deer without a resident hunting license if he has acquired a resident exemption hunting license.

Free admission to Texas State Parks is available to any veteran who has a service-connected disability, which is rated 60% or more by VA, or a service-connected disability, which has resulted in the loss of a lower extremity. Application may be made at the headquarters office of any Texas State park by providing satisfactory evidence of service-connected disability. If such evidence is not readily available, it can be obtained from the VA regional office where the claims folder is located. The Texas State Parklands Passport is available to any veteran who meets the disability requirements, whether or not he or she resides in Texas. The Passport provides only free admission to the State parks, and does not exempt anyone from payment of other charges, such as camping fees, etc.



Under Texas State law, Local Government Code Sec. 0192.002, the County Clerk in each County is required to record, free of charge, the official discharge of each veteran who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. This free service is very important as it provides veterans with a ready source from which they can obtain a certified copy of their discharge whenever it is needed.  It is the veteran's responsibility to have the DD214 or Discharge recorded.  Please also note that if you recorded your DD214 with the County Clerk before Sept. 1, 2003, it became a public record.  A veteran may direct, in writing, that the county clerk destroy all copies of the record that the county clerk makes available to the public as required by section 191.006 of the Local Government Code. Discharges recorded after Sept. 1, 2003 remain confidential for 75 years following the date of recordation.


Disabled veterans who meet certain requirements, their surviving spouses and the spouses and minor children of a person who dies on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible for property tax exemptions on the appraised value of their property. The exemption is mandatory and applies to taxes levied by all taxing authorities in the State. A veteran, whose service-connected disabilities are rated less than 10% by the Department of Veterans Affairs, or a branch of the Armed Forces, is not entitled to a property tax exemption.



Disabled Veterans, Former Prisoners of War, Pearl Harbor Survivors, Purple Heart and Medal of Honor plates are among the special license plates available to eligible veterans and their survivors for personal use on their automobile or light commercial vehicle of one ton or less. Disabled veterans must have a service-connected disability rating of 50% or more or 40% due to amputation of a lower extremity. Former prisoners of war are eligible if they were captured or incarcerated by an enemy of the United States during a period of conflict with the United States and at the time of the capture, were citizens of the United States. Eligibility is for both former members of the Armed Forces and civilian U.S. citizens who were captured by an enemy of our government. For further information, contact either the nearest vehicle title registration office or your county tax office.

PARKING PRIVILEGES for Veterans with Disabilities.
Vehicles displaying disabled plates, disabled veteran plates or permits are the only vehicles allowed to park in spaces clearly marked for the disabled. In some parking lots, the disabled spaces are colored red and others are marked in the traditional blue color. People who have a blue disabled parking permit or disabled veteran license plates can park in either the red or blue spaces. Those with a red disabled permit are only to park in the red spaces. If the parking lot ONLY has blue-colored spaces, then it is permissible for those with red permits to park in those spaces. (Information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation.)
Dependent Benefits Expanded

The voters of Texas, passed Proposition 2 this past November, expanding the legislation that entitles a surviving spouse of a 100% disabled Veteran, a total exemption of Homestead property taxes. Surviving Spouses of a Veteran who was rated as 100% Service Connected Disabled or compensated at the 100% rate due to Individual Unemployability by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) at the time of their death, may qualify. The prior state law required the Veteran’s death to have occurred on January 1, 2010 or after. The expansion of this law includes those Veteran deaths that occurred in 2009 and before. This law also expands to Surviving Spouses of a member of the Armed Services killed in action. The new law will take effect January 1, 2016, and applies only to a tax year beginning on or after that date. 

Requirements to qualify for the exemption are:

- The property was the surviving spouse’s homestead when the Veteran died;

- The property remains the surviving spouse’s homestead (there are provisions if the property was sold and another property purchased); and

- The surviving spouse has not remarried since the death of the disabled Veteran or member of the armed services;

- Veteran must have had a combined service connected disability rating and compensated at the 100% rate or compensated at the 100% rate due to Individual Unemployability for service connected disabilities by the VA.

Surviving Spouses who believe they may be entitled to this new benefit should contact their VSO or call 1-800-827-1000.


Free Legal Aid

Low income military veterans, their dependents and surviving spouses may be eligible for free civil legal services through Lone Star Legal Aid's Military and Veterans Unit.  Those who have served in the military; married to a veteran or are the surviving spouse of a veteran; or are the child or other dependent of a veteran and currently depend on that veteran for support can apply for support through the program. Applicants must meet income and asset based criteria, as the program is geared towards those with low incomes and limited assets.   Lone Star Legal Aid is able to assist with noncriminal legal issues involving veteran benefits, bankruptcy, custody and child support, consumer issues, divorce and family law, education, employment, housing and Medicare and Medicaid.  Interested applicants may call 1-844-400-VETS from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or apply by email at



Sign-Up for our FREE Veteran Newsletters and FREE Veteran Alerts.

Full name:
 * required
Email address:
 * required

I agree to receive FREE veteran newsletters and alerts.


Disability Journal
Disability Journal

Disability Journal:  A Daily Account of My Current Disability Issues (Log Book) Comb-bound.  Hardcover - February 2016.
by Aspyre Media Group, LLC

Your custom designed Disability Journal is a simple to use tool that will help you collect, track and share past and current information about your current disability and other health issues. The Disability Journal has proven to be an invaluable lifesaver providing an overview of your health history to the medical professionals who assist you with your health. The Disability Journal will help you to recall specific information when filling out forms at an appointment with a new physician or medical facility. The Disability Journal is your personal health journey and the format presented is to assist you in monitoring your disabilit(ies), or other health concerns. You may consider taking your Disability Journal with you to all Veterans Affairs (VA) appointments, and other visits to see a healthcare provider. The Disability Journal is designed to provide your medical professional with concise and easily accessible details of your health in case of an emergency or in any circumstances that might occur related to your health.

Product Details:

Comb-bound:  100 pages
Publisher:  Aspyre Media Group, LLC
Language:  English
Product dimensions:  8.5 x 11
Shipping weight:  14 ounces

Learn more... 

[ Benefits By State ]