STATE BENEFITS                     
The Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA) continues to build better lives for veterans and their families living in Oregon. From helping veterans obtain earned medals and military awards to filing claims for education benefits, ODVA is here with you every step of the way. We strongly encourage you to seek the advice and counsel of an accredited Veteran Service Officer to represent your interests before filing a VA claim.                  
State Parks Use Permit
Free year round camping for service-connected disabled veterans and U.S. Armed Forces active-duty personnel on leave. The benefit includes camping and day-use privileges at RV and tent sites in Oregon State Parks. The Oregon Parks and Rec Dept. issues park access identification cards to every qualifying veteran who submits a completed application for the fee waiver, which applies to the use of RV and tent campsites and visits to all 26 of OPRD’s day-use-fee parks.
ORVET Home Loans
The ODVA State Veteran’s Home Loan program (ORVET) offers favorable interest rates and enables honorably-discharged veterans to purchase a single-family owner-occupied home. Eligibility for the program can be established prior to making actual application for a home loan.                     
ODVA home loans are available to veterans purchasing a primary residence within the State of Oregon. The current maximum ORVET loan amount is $417,000 or a veteran’s remaining eligibility if there has been a previous ODVA loan. The home being purchased must be within the State of Oregon. The home must be the veteran's primary residence.                          
Permanent Vehicle Registration Fee for Disabled Veterans
One-time registration fee for motor vehicle registration for service-connected disabled veterans in receipt of compensation. Disabled veterans must provide proof that the qualifying disability is connected with service in the Armed Forces of the United States. This proof must be provided in the form of a letter from the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States. To request a letter, call VA at 1-800-827-1000. The letter must certify:


You are a service member discharged or released under honorable conditions;


The service was for not less than 90 consecutive days (or the discharge or release was based on a service connected injury or illness prior to completion of the minimum period of service), and;                                   

The disability is service related.


Submit the letter with the application. If you need further assistance, contact ODVA at 1-800-692-9666 or your County Veteran Service Officer.

Military Veteran Recognition License Plate Program
For $10 every two years, an eligible veteran may register a Veteran Recognition Plate with Military Insignia or Blank Veteran Recognition Plate. A variety of license plates relating to military service. A portion of the fees from the “VETERAN” plate helps support the Oregon Veterans’ Home, a 151-bed, Medicare/Medicaid certified, skilled-nursing care facility, located in The Dalles.                                                
Educational Aid
The state of Oregon provides $150 per month for 36 months for a total of $5,600 for full-time college studies. Part-time students may receive $100 per month for 36 months for a total of $3,600 for college studies. Benefits are paid for classroom instruction, home study courses, and for vocational training from an accredited educational institution.                                   
Unemployment Compensation
Veterans who do not begin civilian employment immediately after leaving military service may receive weekly unemployment compensation for a limited time. The purpose of Training Unemployment Insurance (TUI) is to allow eligible dislocated workers to attend school and receive unemployment insurance benefits at the same time so that they can continue to care for their families and obtain employment.
Disabled Veterans' and Local Employment Representatives
Veterans can find employment information, education and training opportunities, job counseling, job search workshops, and resume preparation assistance at state Workforce Career or One-Stop Centers. These offices also have specialists to help disabled veterans find employment. Disabled Veterans´ Outreach Program Specialists (DVOP) and Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) assist Veterans' in applying for Federal, State, Local Government and private sector employment.                                  
Veterans' Preference Points
Since the time of the Civil War, Veterans of the Armed Forces have been given some degree of preference in appointments to government jobs. Recognizing that sacrifices are made by those serving in the Armed Forces, Congress enacted laws to prevent veterans seeking employment from being penalized because of the time spent in military service.                                               
Hunting and Fishing Licenses (Permanent Combination License)
A free hunting and angling license for disabled war veterans rated at 25% or more with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veteran must be an Oregon resident for at least six months.                                  
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
3406 Cherry Ave. NE
Salem, OR 97303
(503) 947-6101
Application requires proof in the form of a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The letter must state the veterans service-connected disability percentage. Call 1-800-827-1000 to order your letter.                                      
Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit
Available to disabled veterans rated at 65% or more with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The disabilities permit is not a license or tag. Veterans must also obtain a Permanent Combination License. Application requires proof in the form of a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The letter must state the veterans service-connected disability percentage. Call 1-800-827-1000 to order your letter. The letter should be submitted to:                                          
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
3406 Cherry Ave. NE
Salem, OR 97303
(503) 947-6101
Emergency Financial Assistance Program
The Oregon Veterans' Emergency Financial Assistance Program (OVEFAP) program is for veterans and their immediate family (spouse, unremarried surviving spouse, child, or stepchild) who are in need of emergency financial assistance. Assistance needs includes, but are not limited to:
Emergency or temporary housing and related housing expenses, such as expenses for utilities, insurance, house repairs, rent assistance or food;
Emergency medical or dental expenses;
Emergency transportation;
Expenses related to starting a business, such as business licenses or occupational licenses;
Temporary income after military discharge; and Legal assistance.

Small Business Repair Loan
For more information call 1-800-692-9666. The Oregon Veterans’ Small Business Repair Loan is a zero-percent loan intended to help recently returning servicemembers recover their businesses that had suffered a setback during their deployments. Veterans can apply for up to $20,000 if they are the majority owner of their business.
Property Tax Exemption for Disabled War Veterans
The exemption is a portion of the value from property tax for veterans with disabilities of 40 percent or more. If you are a disabled war veteran or the surviving spouse of a war veteran, you may be entitled to exempt $15,450 or $18,540 of your homestead property's assessed value from property taxes. The exemption amount increases by 3 percent each year. The exemption is first applied to your home and then to your taxable personal property. If you are an Oregon resident and a qualifying veteran or that veteran's surviving spouse and live in your home, you may file a claim and receive the exemption.                                                      
Free recording and certified copies of public records for veteran-related purposes, including birth, marriage, death, and divorce decrees. Contact your local County Recorders Office.                                                  
Oregon Veterans’ Home
A skilled nursing care facility for Oregon veterans, their spouses or surviving spouses, and parents all of whose children died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. The 151-bed long-term care facility provides skilled nursing, Alzheimers and other dementia, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitative care. The Oregon Veterans´ Home is a Medicare and Medicaid certified facility. Toll free information number 1-800-846-8460.                                         
High School Diploma
All Oregon school districts may issue High School diplomas under ORS 332.114 to veterans who did not graduate from a high school because they were serving in a war with the U.S. Armed Forces. High School diplomas can also be issued to a representative of a deceased veteran.                                               
ODVA provides court-ordered Estate Management for certain veterans and their dependents. Managing the financial affairs of these protected persons helps meet their current and future needs. Most of our clients have disabilities such as schizophrenia, head injury, and Alzheimer’s disease that can negatively affect judgment and reasoning abilities. They are also easy targets for unscrupulous people who take advantage of them financially.
Sign-Up for our FREE Veteran Newsletters and FREE Veteran Alerts.

Full name:
 * required
Email address:
 * required

I agree to receive FREE veteran newsletters and alerts.



[ Benefits By State ]