VA Disability Compensation


The evidence of record must show the claimed disability was incurred during military service. The medical evidence provided by the veteran and/or the service department must show the claimed disability. If the disability pre-existed service, such as a leg condition, the evidence must show that the condition became worse during military service.


If service medical records show the claimed disability exists, then it must be determined how disabling the condition is today. The claimant usually under goes a medical examination at the nearest VA Medical Center. The examining doctors report is then sent to the Regional Office for review.


The rating specialist then consults a rating schedule (See Chart Below) The findings will then be compared to the descriptions given to the various percentages. The percentage, which is closest to the examining physician's findings, will be given as an evaluation of the disability. VA disability benefit valuations are rounded to the closest 10%.


If a veteran is found to have more than one disability (each of which is considered at least 10% disabling) they will apply a rating schedule for a combined evaluation. Note: Individual disabilities are not added together to give a final percentage.


For example: A veteran may have 3 disabilities: arm, leg, and psychological. And each disability is rated 50% disabling. The veteran is not evaluated as 150% disabled. Each percent is applied to the remaining healthy percent.

With no disabilities the veteran is considered 100% healthy.

When the arm condition is considered, the veteran is now 50% disabled and 50% healthy.


Next the 50% evaluation of the leg is applied to the healthy 50% and he/she is considered 75% disabled and 25% healthy.


As evaluations rounded to 10% increments the veterans evaluation is now rounded to 80% disabled and 20% healthy.


The 50% psychological condition is then applied to the remaining 25% healthy. As the previous combined evaluation was 75% and was rounded to 80%. He/she is now 88% disabled.


The 88% evaluation is then rounded to a final figure of 90% disabled and 10% healthy.


NOTE: Always insist on a discharge physical examination.

Sign-Up for our FREE Veteran Newsletters and FREE Veteran Alerts.

Full name:
 * required
Email address:
 * required

I agree to receive FREE veteran newsletters and alerts.


Veteran ID Card w/Picture
Veteran ID Card
No longer will you have to carry around your DD Form 214 as proof of your military service.  The Veteran ID Card will quickly establish you as a veteran, along with other essential benefits.  More...