Work-Study Program: Veterans who train at the three-quarter or full-time rate may be eligible for a work-study program in which they work for VA and receive hourly wages. The types of work allowed include:


1. Outreach services.


2. VA paperwork.


3. Work at national or state veterans’ cemeteries.


4. Work at VA medical centers or state veterans’ homes.


5. Other VA approved activities.



Types of Training Available: The following types of training are available:


1. Courses at colleges and universities leading to associate, bachelor or graduate degrees, including accredited independent study offered through distance education.


2. Courses leading to a certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools.


3. Apprenticeship or on-the-job training for those not on active duty, including self-employment training begun on or after June 16, 2004, for ownership or operation of a franchise.


4. Correspondence courses, under certain conditions.


5. Flight training, if the veteran holds a private pilot’s license upon beginning the training and meets the medical requirements.


6. State-approved teacher certification programs.


7. Preparatory courses necessary for admission to a college or graduate school.


8. License and certification tests approved for veterans.


9. Entrepreneurship training courses to create or expand small businesses.


10. Tuition assistance using MGIB as “Top-Up” (active duty service members).



Educational and Vocational Counseling: VA counseling is available to help determine educational or vocational strengths and weaknesses and plan educational or employment goals.


Additionally, individuals not eligible for the MGIB may still receive VA counseling beginning 180 days prior to separation from active duty through the first full year following honorable discharge. 



Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program


Eligibility: Active duty personnel could participate in the Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) if they entered active duty for the first time after Dec. 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985, and made a contribution prior to April 1, 1987. The maximum contribution is $2,700. Active duty participants may make a lump-sum contribution to their VEAP account. 


Service members who participated in VEAP are eligible to receive benefits while on active duty if:


1.  At least 3 months of contributions are available, except for high school or elementary, in which only one month is needed.


2.  And they enlisted for the first time after Sept. 7, 1980, and completed 24 months of their first period of active duty.


Service members must receive a discharge under conditions other than dishonorable for the qualifying period of service. Service members who enlisted for the first time after Sept. 7, 1980, or entered active duty as an officer or enlistee after Oct. 16, 1981, must have completed 24 continuous months of active duty, unless they meet a qualifying exception.


Eligibility generally expires 10 years from release from active duty, but can be extended under special circumstances.


Payments: DoD will match contributions at the rate of $2 for every $1 put into the fund and may make additional contributions, or “kickers,” as necessary. For training in college, vocational or technical schools, the payment amount depends on the type and hours of training pursued. The maximum amount is $300 a month for full-time training.


Training, Work-Study, Counseling: VEAP participants may receive the same training, work-study benefits and counseling as provided under the Montgomery GI Bill.